Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Week 5 MTC 11.23.13

This is as good a week as any to stop counting the weeks on this email! It would just get too hard to remember eventually! This was a really good week at the MTC! Like always a few good things and a few hard things happened! Lets start with the hard and work towards the good! The first hard thing was out teacher talked to us for a couple hours a few days ago and told us all the grammatical errors we are making that completely change the meaning of our words. For example: I asked our investigator "Paano magbasa kayo?" when I should have asked "Kumusta po and binabasa ninyo?" The first one translates to: How read you? And the second one translates to "how was your reading?" very different right? It was kind of hard to hear all of that because as much as I love it, this language is the hardest thing I have ever had to learn. It so unbelievably different. It was very humbling to hear that we still have a long way to go. After that class though my companions and I have dug deeper into the language than we ever have before. We have found that if we say the sentences first in English than translate them we can say them with perfect grammar. So I think we will try and think about the questions a little more before we say them. Another hard thing is we did TRC over skype. TRC is where we teach people who are already members of the church. We taught Brother Pao who lives in Manila. The hard thing was we could hear him because skype kept cutting in and out. I hope he got something out of our message because it was ridiculously hard to focus. Alright enough of that stuff. The awesome thing that happened this week. And I dont know why, but last night in class the language as a whole kind of just clicked inside my head. Our teacher was explaining Object focus causitive on nounified verbs and the sentence structure just clicked in my head why it is the way it is. And can I just tell you all It makes so much more sense than English. I wont go into it too much why but someday ill tell you. Its just really complicated. 

The last really awesome thing is we got our flight itineraries yesterday! WOOHOOO!!! We will be flying to Detroit from Salt Lake and then directly from Detroit to Manila. That last flight will be 21 hours long. Yes I said 21 hours long. Manila is almost directly on the other side of the globe from Detroit. The Lord literally could not have sent us farther away from home. Is it weird that all I feel is excited?! Im so stoked to get there! 

It makes me so glad to know I have all of you rooting for me! And I thank you all for our words and the letter and things you send me! I try and write all of you back but If i don't get to it just know I love you and that If I had time I would right to everyone of you everyday! I hope you all have an awesome week. God be with you. You are all in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment